Friday 7 April 2017

And now the 19th....

We have had a few ACW games at the club - a few of us have armies and scenery and it's been a while since we played. As always the question of rules comes up and we thought it time to have another crack at Mr Lincoln's War.

 

These are a set of rules which set out to recreate the systems and tactics of the Civil War. They're not a fast play set and take a bit of getting used to but boy do they look the part.

 

But, and there is a but, they don't exactly clip along. And they are difficult to learn. Rewarding, yes but perhaps not for a club night.  So next week we will try the more playable but less realistic Regimental Fire and Fury. 

 

I have heard of a set called Gettysburg Soldiers which seem good and I am planning to add a set to the rules shelf in the future.

 

2 comments:

Chris Gregg said...

Over many years i found the standard Brigade based Fire and Fury a very good set of rules for representing the command situations and ebb and flow of ACW battles, and we refought many of them very successfully using 6mm scale figures on 1" wide bases. I found the Beta set of F and F Regimental very good for AWI with 10mm figures using one 1" stand representing 50 men. Sorry you seem disappointed in them but I look forward to hearing how your game goes.
Chris

StuartInsch said...

Hi Chris, Thanks for your comment.

F&F would be my go to set if I were playing in 15mm. I've played them extensively and once upon a time had my own 15mm Union army for games at my last club.

But....

The regimental set put me off with the size of the battles depicted and the amount of space required to fit them in. The mechanisms etc will be sound, the rules will work, but for the moment we, as a group, (and me individually!) probably don't have enough figures to do them justice and although it's a period I thoroughly enjoy, it isn't one I really want to get more figures for.