Tuesday 26 June 2018

Wild Geese II - the piccies

So here are my piccies from the Wild Geese weekender. Our third, successfully organised by Colin Ashton, this year. It was great to catch up with everyone and there were a few new folk to meet. Our table even won the after dinner quiz on the first night πŸ˜‚

My first game was an excellent Zulu War game using TMWWBK run by Gary Philips. The Zulu's were generated by "Mr Babbage" whilst Gavin Winspear moved them about and alternated between great dice throws and disastrous ones. First time I've played liked that and it was fun. We manage to achieve our objective although my blithering idiot officer got all but two of his cavalry killed....he must have been up for a medal!

The British Firing Line with the cavalry in the distance.


The Zulu's try to jump the rear of the British position...and succeed.


Afternoon saw me play Colin Ashton's "Versailles the Game" which involved galloping up the table supposedly to fight the Dutch but in reality to capture as many women and to try and prevent the other French commanders (Steve Pearse and Tim Whitworth) from doing likewise. Lovely figures (and a few cheeky ones!)  and terrain once more from Colin.

Those pesky Dutch

The Maison du Roi


Captured by the Gunners


Colin's town buildings





My last game was my favourite this year. William Harley took along his 18thC Spencer Smith imagination figs, (painted as French and Prussians) and we had a great game across the table using Jim Purkey's 7YW rules. First time I have played them and I'd say they were perfect for a big battle like this.

The French Positions




Cuirassier vs Hussars



Lots of ebb and flowing the left especially between Tim Whitworth and Jim's cavalry and even a chivalric gesture when Doug Thompson's unit got left behind by Jim's retreating centre and was given the opportunity to surrender by Michael Perry. Having given a one word answer, we were forced to bring up the howitzers to make him reconsider!



Willz runs the game while Perry and Purkey face off. Tim's cavalry puts in another attack.



The Spencer Smith's gave the game an old school feel. They are painted in an almost abstract style that really makes them stand out. Will handmade the terrain pieces for his game and I intend to get some instruction or bits from him!







Another great weekend. This highlight of my Wargames year, I am so glad that we will be doing it again next year. Thanks to Colin for this one, looking forward to next June already !

6 comments:

marinergrim said...

Best weekend yet indeed. Roll on 2019

Anonymous said...

Excellent AAR and photo's Stuart, thank you for posting. Whilst I took hundreds of photo's the phone camera was not up to yours and others tablet cameras. Thanks for the photo's.
What a fantastic weekend, roll on WG 2019.

Will Harley.

StuartInsch said...

Thanks guys. We all know the rhythm of the weekend now and it runs pretty slick. You guys do the hard work on the day.

Will, all I did was pop the iPad on the tabletop, nice n stable and snap off the pics. Then I crop them and boost the light up a little. It seems to work! It's a better camera than my iPhone and I can get the pics straight into my blog.

Roll on 2019.

Chris Gregg said...

Nice account Stuart and lovely photos, thank you

Old Nick said...

Great report on the weekend. Brilliant pictures and great narrative. Truly a wonderful experience for all of you lucky enough to attend.

Tony said...

Another fun weekend. Looking forward to next year's bash.