Wednesday, 9 August 2017

Sugar Islands Test Scenario - The Plantation

Tonight at Oldmeldrum Wargames Group we gave The Minden AWI rules another bash and tried out a simple scenario based on action from the attacks on Martinique and Guadeloupe.

Three British battalions advanced to take a plantation which had been entrenched and was defended by milita and men from the Compagnie Franches de la Marine, together with a large cannon which had been hauled into place. 

The British Commander decided on the direct approach and swiftly marched the Grenadiers, 63rd and 64th in column up the table to engage the enemy. The French hoped that they could relay on the strength of their position and the damage caused by their gun. 

The heavy piece fired and swept a file of men of the 63rd away, but the columns were not stayed. The redcoats pulled their tricorns down tighter, helmets their muskets and moved on forward. Again the gun blazed as the columns came into canister range, this time the damage was telling and the 63rd were halted, but the Grenadiers and 64th came on.

In range of the militia now their fire began to pick men off, but both units attacked the breastworks around the plantation. The cannon crew swiftly fell to their bayonets and, breaking into the position they split left and right. The Grenadiers on the left taking on the militia whist the 64th set about the French colonial troops. 

The British fought hard and with superior skill drove the French from their positions, they broke and ran and the plantation fell to King George's men. The price had been high however. The 63rd were badly mauled and the Grenadiers lost a quarter of their number. With victories like these would there be enough men to be able to secure the islands?

Sunday, 6 August 2017

French Gun crew painted.....and a new building.

Finished the gun crew. I've painted them as some Cannonier-Bombardiers in their red waistcoats and a couple of civilian supports. The Bombardiers were the colonial artillery deployed alongside the Compagnie Franches. On Guadeloupe they were assisted by numbers of Corsairs, so the figure in the baggy breeches could be one of these chaps.

The building is a new purchase from EBay. Perfect for the islands and for the AWI.

The single figure is from the same pack of labourers, but I have armed him with a musket from the WF/Warlord WSS cavalry. He looks quite a young chap, but everyone turned out to see off the enemy,

Friday, 4 August 2017

French Gun Crew and armed farm workers

Some civilians in military service for Martinique and Guadeloupe.

First some gun Crew - these will be mixed in with the actual French crew I will be ordering from Crann Tara later. A French officer lends encouragement.

The cannon is a model boat piece from Billings, a lovely bit of turned brass, bored out too. I shall be having a couple more of these!

Now some farmhands or townsfolk.. Again Crann Tara labourers, this time with the addition of some Wargames factory/Warlord WSS muskets.

I hope to have these ready for my planned game next tues.

Sunday, 16 July 2017

Sugar Islands British

Slowly but surely my Sugar Islands campaign moves forward. Here's a pic of the British inf I have had painted up by Stuart Foley alongside the lovely command stand I received as a gift from Jim Purky of Minden & Fife and Drum mini's.


Stuart currently has another British line regiment and some British Grenadiers as well as French militia which he is painting up. For the latter I have used Fife and Drum AWI figs, purchased from Crann Tara. I'm away on business at the moment (this post comes to you from the departure lounge of distant Almaty airport!), but I hope to have them when I get back from my trip. I have some time off coming up and will use that to base the units which are complete so far and then try out some scenario ideas.

The unit to the front is the 38th Foot which had been posted to the Windward islands for some time. As such it's uniforms mush have made some concessions to local conditions and supply. Linen or cotton would have replaced wool and straw hats may have been worn by more practical officers rather than a felted tricorn. I have used CT's British Line in Campaign dress for these and have a few more with floppy tricorns to add. I asked Stuart to paint a few in different gaiters to add to the irregular look of this unit. 

Monday, 26 June 2017

And some Spanish

First of a few Spanish units I am painting to add to my Neapolitan army. Rgt Guadalajara, Cran Tara mini's from their WAS range.

I have to admit I struggled a bit to get the definition right with the white coats. The CT figs are very clean castings with quite subtle folds and lines in their uniforms. I used a little grey ink to define the arms and armpits and think this works....I'm sure it will get better as I add more units.