Monday 9 January 2017

End of Year Post......

It's been so long since I last posted anything. The last few months of the year have been a very busy time. So here's a summary of what I've been up to in wargaming terms.


Targe, the Wargames show in Kirriemuir, took place in November, one of my favourite shows. It's small and very freindly and I really like the social aspect of this show, especially since quite a few folk I know go as traders and gamers. As a shopping trip it's not bad, Dave Thomas is usually there and always has something and there is a good mix of other companies too. I'll be honest I don't get more than a quick look round the games because I'm usually involved in one myself and the painting comp holds no interest. It's the closest (other than Skelp in Forfar) and worth a drive down, even for a quick flying visit.

This year we put on the Hagelberg fictional refight as the demo game from my local club Oldmeldrum. I call it a fictional refight because it is a historical scenaraio - a battle from 1813 where resurgent Prussia jumps a French column and cuts its up badly denying Napoleon of badly needed reinforcements.

This time the action's been rolled back to the 1750's. Russia, fresh from defeating Frederick, rolls into Germany and tries to flatten the army of Hoegaarden, deployed to protect that small state from being looted and pillaged. No easy task!

The odds were stacked heavily in Russia's favour, but the green and red horde debouched from the woods and rode down on Hoegaarden's cavalry just as it was deploying. This drove the white coated men back on their heels, but they deployed on a the reverse slops of a hill and sheltered from the shot of the Russians guns.

As they reformed the cavalry pressed down the road towards the town and on the right more Russian troops arrived.  Things were looking grim....

However as can be the way of things, the Russians never quite got their legs in motion and launched sporadic uncoordinated attacks. Each one not quite pressed home with enough troops and allowing the Hoegaarden men just enough time and space to either retire or reform. (Actually this was caused be some poor dice and the rotation of commanders with different players taking control of different units at different times!).

As a demo game it worked perfectly and we had lots of interest about the rules, the figures, the buildings, the scenario.....in fact we all spent as much if not more time talking as we did playing. Here's some pics !

 

 

 

 

 

 


I had a chance to catch up with Charles Grant, which is always good, and also Graham Cummings (of Crann Tara). The two of us discussed some new figures which Graham was working on and this has now grown into a project between us - but more of that in the new year!

Since Kirriemuir I've been giving Honours of War a break. Sticking with the 18thC I have been playing Loose Files and American Scramble - a set of rules for the AWI which I haven played in something like 20 years!!!! However now I have my Militia I've been able to play a few games and loved them. These rules don't give players complete freedom of action, the use of disruption points simulates the difficulty of operating in terrain and formations less than idea for 18thC warfare.

 

 

 

Finally I've also managed to get an ancients game in with my chum John, barbarians vs Late Romans, and been persuaded (by myself!) to get some Huns to use with out home made version of Ancient and Medieval Warfare by Neil Thomas. I bought two boxes of Fireforge Mongols. Other than the obvious stirrups they are perfect for Huns. I may scalpel the stirrups off, I have already done so with a test figure, but since these are for home use only I might just stick with them as they are.

 

 

So that's about it for another year. It really has been a good one in gaming terms. Looking back the AMG16 event was a highlight (and AMG17 will hopefully be just as good!). Playing with a great bunch of chaps with lovely figs and terrain was brilliant. That and the AMG Forum continues to inspire me. Honours of War has been adopted by the local club and we've had some great games culminating in Hagelburg. Pyrrhus and his men have fought and beaten the Roman Republic, but at a terrible cost and I've had some great games of Bolt Action too.

Roll on 2017!!!!

2 comments:

marinergrim said...

Like you I'm sure that AMG17 will be a success.
Good to see that you've managed a variety of games and that you've enjoyed all of them.

StuartInsch said...

Cheers Paul.
'16 was great, '17 will be even better I know it.
Hope you're keeping fine.