Wednesday 15 January 2020

Le Coureur - a ship for costal actions

After my visit to Graham H at new year I spent some time looking on eBay to see what ships were available for gaming. I didn't want a frigate or man o war, but perhaps something smaller and cheaper. I was actually looking for a bomb ketch or mortar vessel.

I stumbled across a model that looked to be about the right size and decided to keep an eye on it. A day later the seller started to accept offers and I went straight back with what he was asking.....I figured that the ship was either good for 28's or just a little smaller and good for 1/72, in which case I wasn't too interested. However the price was too good to ignore. 

She arrived yesterday and I rigged her up to take some shots. 





Le Coureur was a French coastal lugger captured by the British and sent to the western Atlantic where she was in turn captured by the Americans. With 8 guns she makes a fine wee cutter or brig for supporting landings in the Caribbean or on the French coast or even the Great Lakes. As you can see she is a good fit for 28's, especially the correctly proportioned Crann Tara / Fife and Drum types and so will go into action against Spain and France supporting my British. There seem to be a few different kits available of her from digging about online, this is the larger version.




I have some of the excellent Naval Landing party from CT so they will form the crew and I shall be constructing a polystyrene base for her, just as Graham has on his blog. 

Not bad for...£20😳😳😳


6 comments:

Chris Stoesen said...

That is amazing. Well done! Very impressed.

marinergrim said...

Very nice. Be interested in how you cut the hull down.

Chris Gregg said...

Terrific , it looks superb and what a bargain price, good for you
cheers
Chris

StuartInsch said...

Thanks for the feedback folks,,

Chris S - thanks!....that's a nice blog you have yourself too. I'll be popping in for a closer look.

Paul, no plans to cut, I am going to do what Graham H is doing and make some boards with a slot cut for her to sit in. She's far too nice co hack up.....and besides she won't go in the bath if I do that 😳😂

Chris G....always rely on an aberdonian to find a bargain.

Der Alte Fritz said...

That's a bonny ship, indeed. How long from stem to stern?

I bought a lot of similar looking ships from a tourist shop in Florida..they'd probably need 10mm to 15mm crew, but sail construction and hull look very similar.

Jim

StuartInsch said...

Jim,
Just shy of 12in. I think she's probably 1:72 scale possibly a bit larger. Your style of castings fit though and don't look out of place on board.