Friday 1 January 2021

Hey Ho, Let's Go!

It's a new dawn and a new day and a new year. So lets start with looking forward not back.


Wa have a lot to look forward to this year, seeing friends, playing games, maybe even winning some battles too. New projects to start, old ones to see on a table again. Conventions, club meets and gatherings. New books, articles and knowledge. New toys to enjoy.

It's going to be good.

I am looking forward to finishing Against Spain, the sequel to the Sugar Islands. I am also working on something covering 16thC battles in Aberdeenshire.

For the tabletop, I am working on some figures to use in scenarios for the Philippines right now. 

After that I have Indian solders for WW1 to complete. Facing them will be either Turks or Germans and Askaris.

Some Jacobites will make an appearance too.

But my big project will be the Franco-Prussian War, in 28mm, on a grand scale, in collaboration will Graham H. 


I can't wait to get started!


  

9 comments:

Aly Morrison said...

Here’s to the future Stuart...
I look forward to seeing what you get up to...
Who’s Miniatures are you going to use for the Franco-Prussians?

Hopefully we will be able to catch up over a few beers this year.

All the best. Aly

StuartInsch said...

Hopefully we will Aly!

Perry minis when they are ready, but G has made a start with Eagles of Empire and I have some samples from Footsore to get me started on the French. Rules will be home cooked but we are taking a lead from the 1871 set.

David said...

Grampian Battlefields by Peter Marren is a great source for the battles - I have wanted to do Corrichie, Crabistane and Glenlivet for ages but the figures have never made it to the painting table. Perhaps you will inspire me in 2021!

StuartInsch said...

Marrens book is pretty good. Not only for an overview but also for the sources. The original source material is pretty sparse however. I have a wee disagreement with him about Corrichie and plan having a wander up the Hill o Fair come springtime to see the lie of the land for myself.

Martin Gane said...

Stuart this sounds terrific . I share your passion for the Franco Prussian War and will be joining you in collecting the new Perry figures when they become available.

StuartInsch said...

Hi Martin. Good to hear from you, hope you're keeping fine,

I've already rebased some existing figures to get things underway while I put together some rules for big games. Can't wait for the Perry stuff!

Mluther said...

Looking forward to the Havana campaign booklet. Covid has really stymied my Sugar Islands gaming, but this year things are going to get rolling again.
Best of luck to you in 2021.
Mark

Jonmarcus said...

Happy New Year - much enjoy your postings and looking forward to the Havana book.
Might I ask you to go into some detail on the blog regarding rules and organisation for the Franco-Prussian war. I am really looking forward to the new Perry range and recently purchased a huge two volume trip-lingual book on uniforms and equipment. But translating it onto the table in 28mm raises all sorts of difficulties so would love to see more of your approach as time goes on.
JM

StuartInsch said...

Rules will be a home brew. I will do a summary of what I've put together when I've finished the French figures I'm working on. Each unit will represent either a regiment of 3-4 battalions or a light infantry battalion on smaller thinner bases. Graeme has a BIG table so we plan on having games with at least a division on the table and hopefully up to a corps. Stay tuned.