Friday 17 February 2023

Canadian Patriots Rebellion - test game

 Last Tuesday there were a few folk away and numbers at the club were low so an off the cuff Rebels and Patriots games was arranged as I hadn't put my boxes of 1830's British and Canadians away I took them along with my snow mats and winter fences and we played a scratch game of the early rebellion using the stats for forces from the R&P rules. 




I need to paint the edges of the roads white and look at a simple method of adding snow to the house roof.

We played two quick games, in the first, the British, commanded by John, decided to shoot their way across the river, but skirmish fire from the Patriots held them back and nibbled away at the units. I was unable to being up the larger units of Patriots to support my skirmishers and when I did one of them got shot down in pretty quick order. However by now John was not in any fit state to force the bridge and we wrapped up the game.













In the second game I took over the British and determined that a little more dash was called for, so sent two units straight up the road and over the bridge, while two units fanned out to screen.Johns dice throwing improved and he was able to bring his skirmishers into play against the column and men started dropping. The lead unit stalled and with Patriots on three sides was quickly down to half strength and less. Casualties were mounting on the second unit two and when the advance unit inevitably failed its morale test, everyone piled back across the bridge.




Two quick games, two different approaches and two similar results.

But historical ones. In the first actions of the revolt, the British sent a force to St Denis and it too was forced back. neither John nor I were able to do much better, indeed we failed to get anywhere need the building, but as games go it was good fun to play and I have to say I think my figs and terrain went to tether quite well too!

Figures from Empress and Studio Miniatures (now Bicorn) for the British and Artizan and North Star for the Patriots. Mat from EBay, fences from Emperor Toad and roads from way way back! Trees are last valley and the buildings are Conflix

2 comments:

Duke of Baylen said...

I have a growing interest in he many theatres of the 1830s but this is perhaps the one I know least so I enjoyed reading the reports and even more seeing the figures. I look forward to more as the story unfolds.
Stephen

pancerni said...

Brr, very effective snow/cold weathered look. The game seems to follow on several others I have seen other places, activations are the key to bending reality to your will. Well done, will watch for more.