Sunday 20 August 2023

Napoleonics - French vs Russians pt2

After a few weeks gap I was up at Forres to see Graham H and finish off our napoleonic game. The first part is described here.

The Russians had suffered some losses but their force was now bearding down on the French, who were  now fully deployed to fight but further back from the road to the bridge.  The question was would the Russians be able to drive the French off completely or would the now prepared French cause too much damage. 

As Graham's Russian columns bore down I have to admit I wasn't feeling too confident. I had the upper hand in guns but no real centre to speak of, it would be a few turns til I could bring my Marines into position and I'd have to limber up and move my central battery to do that, I didn't think I'd get time...

On my left Grahams columns hit... and were brought to a halt. For the next few turns two regiments battered the hell out of each other, the combat flowing back and forth as each failed to drive home a decisive blow. Taking a leaf out of Wellingtons book I set one of the regiments of that brigade into line and it began to fire into the advancing Russian flank. 

Graham's cavalry was screening the bridge so remained in its position so my right flank was able to get time to form up. I was trading men for time and two French regiments were whittled down whilst I manoeuvred to a better position. But the battle had not reached its decisive turn. 




A combination of musketry and cannon fire stripped out three stands from Grahams attacking columns halting them on the spot. His battery in the middle was also destroyed and suddenly it was the Russians without a centre, not the French. 

It was time to head for the bridge. Graham's columns now had to turn and move across the table and it became a foot race. My lancers went forward into the open space but Graham pulled his screen of cavalry back and gained time for his wrecked infantry to escape. 


Great fun to play this scenario, based on the allied movements on Pirna in 1813 and good to get some Napoleonics out on the table.


3 comments:

Aly Morrison said...

A cracking sounding and looking game Stuart…
It’s a lot more fun when it is a nice close game…

All the best. Aly

Norm said...

A nicely sized game that fits it with my gaming situation. I enjoyed a dip around you blog. Following :-)

StuartInsch said...

Thanks Norm...hope you found some interesting bits and continue to do so.

The best napoleonic battles are a near run thing Aly πŸ˜‰