Tuesday 7 November 2023

16thC Spanish

Continuing my 16thC project Ive assembled and painted quite a few of the Wargames Atlantic Conquistador figures. These were painted almost exclusively with Citadel Contrast Paints, Army Painter Speed Paint and Strong Tone Wash. only the white/off white and greys were "normal" paints. These were applied over a Khemri Dust (khaki-ish) primer. Flags are from the 80yrs War Facebook page and Flags of War picked up at Kirriemuir. 





Taking a leaf from Matakishi's excellent Renaissance project I have added priests to all my Spanish units. One seems to praying for deliverance rather than victory though. 

Supporting them are some Citadel Pistoliers. 

I've one more unit of pike and shot to do and using a mix of conquistador bits and warlord landsknecht bodies I have a unit of billmen - they'll join the English. Lastly I have Resin demi lancers and gendarmes and warlord mounted arquebusiers to paint. 

Why Spanish?

Well the Gordon's and the Hay's did not end their support for Catholicism with the crowning of James VI. They were implicated in a plot to involve Spain in Scottish affairs and took advantage of the ships of the stricken Spanish Armada to equip themselves with Spanish cannon, if indeed they had not already done so secretly. One of these lies amongst the ruins of the Hay's castle of Old Slains above St Catherine's Dub near Collieston. Here my father took me as a kid for my grandmothers family had a cottage there and I remember the gun sitting on the headland in the shadow of the ruin, blown up by James in revenge for Hay's treachery. Another cannon sits outside Haddo House a few miles west of my home, and a modern home of the Gordon's, while a third is at Peterhead Museum, just up the road. 

Then there was the Spanish ship which stopped off in Tobermory Bay and whose crew were used by the McLeans of Duart to settle some feuds with the MacDonalds and MacIans before the ship was destroyed on the orders of Walsingham, Elizabeth I's "spymaster". 

Who needs to wait to the Jacobite rebellion and Glen Sheil before you have Spanish in the Heather?!


3 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

Reminds me of the episode of “Hamish Macbeth “ with the clan members of Spanish descent.
Great figures and project.
Alan
Tradgardland

Aly Morrison said...

Nice work Stuart…
They look like rather useful figures.
Hoe do they scale with TAG and the like…?

All the best. Aly

StuartInsch said...

Thanks Chaps.
Aly,
I think they'd suit fine enough. I've got Foundry, Casting Room, Perry, Timeline, D'Arlo, and Flags of War as well now and they're all a decent match. The unit with the black fag have a foundry standard bearer and priest and a casting room drummer.