Sunday 31 January 2016

Some flags for the Observation Corps

Time to do some flags now I have two painted units.

I use 1.5mm OD x 0.8mm ID brass tube for the part of the pole round the flag itself. Although commercial flag are available I usually make my own either by finding the flag details via Google and cutting and pasting the detailed into a template I've made up or by finding a flag from a site, in this case Kronoscaf. A little tweaking of the dimensions is usually required. I like round about 40mm x 40mm.

The brass tube is cut to fit the flag + roughly 0.5mm. This will make the finial at the top of the pole. I use a hacksaw to cut the tube as this ensures the cut end stays open and is not squashed or distorted. This is important when cutting subsequent lengths from the tube.




Taking a pair of pliers I crush one end of the brass tube flat. Then taking a needle file at 45 degrees, rub the flattened end to a point. As its soft brass this is fairly easy to do. 




The flags are cut from the paper and pritt sticked. This tacky paper glue works perfectly and allows me to slide the two halves of the flag into place round the brass tube. The finial pokes out of the top like a spear head.







Sometimes I touch up the edges of the flag with a mix of coloured paint. This hides any white bits and adds a little texture if needed. The glue needs to dry and set, which doesn't take long, then the flag can be crushed up to give it the look of cloth flapping in the breeze. 



Finally the flags can be added to the poles. I use 0.4mm wire for the flag poles. The brass tube slips down over the top and the bottom of the flag comes to rest round about hat height. Should some disaster befall the flag then it can be replaced quite easily, as it can if it turns out to be wrong!!!! 




No comments: