Sunday 24 February 2019

Getting back into the swing of things....


Yesterday I had a nice afternoon catching up with some mates. John Allen owns Commando Miniatures so we played a game set in the Indonesian Confrontation of 63-66. (I was on Borneo some years ago, in Miri, in Sarawak with work. Sadly I saw no jungle, only miles and miles and miles of palm oil plantations. Anyway....)

In this mission the British force carrying important intelligence had to cross the table diagonally from corner to corner while to Indonesian forces advanced from the opposite corners to cut them off. 

This isn't my period at all, but I do like a bit of asymmetrical warfare and John's chunky figures have lovely toy soldier poses and the style of them reminds me of a similarly titled set of comics which I devoured as a kid. He's also invested in a 3D Printer and makes a few vehicles to go with the range.  


The game played quickly with the Brits moving quickly from cover to cover while the Indonesians advanced equally quickly. The firefights were quick and deadly and a couple of close assaults led to hand to hand action. The Brits took up cover in jungle hut and animal pen and saw off the attackers on the left flank, while Gurkhas and the remainder of the Brits took on the right. It was a close call there with casualties being heavy enough on both sides to knock out some units. On the left however the fight wet more of the Brits way and they were able to make a break for the table edge and bring the intelligence to safety. 


My only pic, I forgot to take any til the end! 

Nice to catch up with John, Eric and Carlos and have a different type of game. 

Back to horse and musket next week! 

1 comment:

Phil said...

Looks great...even if only one picture!