Saturday 4 April 2020

Sugar Islands - Against the Maroons

This weekends game will be a test of a special scenario I have written for the Sugar Islands inspired by Crann Tara's excellent Maroon figures.

The scenario will be available as a download once I have tested it.

I finally managed to get round to painting the ones I have, and the huts I bought so now can try something that's been kicking about for a few months.

The Maroons were escaped slaves who took to isolated locations and set up their own villages and camps, raiding and living off the land and eventually establishing their own culture. There were several Maroon uprisings across the Caribbean too.

The figures are the typical clean Crann Tara sculpts, open handed to receive various weapons. I have equipped mine with machetes and other plantation tools and some traditional weapons such as bows and spears as well as a smattering of firearms - the latter gleaned from Marlburian and AWI plastic sprues from Warlord games. A simple paint job, mahogany, with plain coloured clothing and a soft tone wash finishes the figures off.




The huts are an eBay purchase.

For previous games I have used Jim Purky's excellent F&I skirmish rules from Fife and Drum. However this scale of game is much smaller than the usual few battalions, so instead I'll be using Rebels and Patriots which I really like. However Sharp Practice, Muskets and Tomahawks, or any other skirmish set would work well too.

1 comment:

Old Nick said...

Looking forward to this!