Sunday 24 May 2020

16thC Distraction - Huntly and Family

I received my Border Reiver figures from Timeline/Hoka Hey. These are the ex Graven images Jim Bowen range and are a chunky but wonderfully sculpted and were a pleasure to paint. They're not the cheapest, but neither are Foundry for example and sometimes you pay for what you get. I'd certainly buy more of these.

I have painted them up to represent the Gordon Family. 
The Earl of Huntly is described as being overweight and older. He died of a stroke or heart attack immediately after the battle. I tried to give him a flushed skin tone, but am not sure if that came out. He is dressed in expensive black clothing and wears a gilded breastplate. He is bareheaded, so his men and his foes know him, and perhaps so he can breath a bit better!
His son John, flanks him in his morion and black clothing, he is armed with a pistol and sword.  He is in a world of trouble and probably knows that whatever happens to his father he is most definitely in for the full wrath of the Queen and Regent and has nothing to lose.
Huntly's youngest son, Adam, is also a hothead, like his brother John. Songs will be written about the terrible Edom O' Gordon and his deeds, but he will survive and become a faithful servant of James VI. 


Around around them are other members of the Gordon household and they will be fighting under Huntly's banner.

I now have enough figures painted to refight the battle. Some basing needs done. I purchased some movement trays but due to a tolerance problem of base size to slot size these needed to be modified and sanded out. Not a problem I've had before. I will be going back to my normal supplier Warbases and ordering some custom bases when they reopen, I've never had problems with those. What I'd really like is some irregular shaped bases that are textured with a slot. I've yet to see such things, but if anyone knows of them, let me know. 

2 comments:

Aly Morrison said...

This is all coming together very nicely Stuart...
I look forward to seeing the battle.

All the best. Aly

Willie Anderson said...

Great looking figures.