Saturday 4 July 2020

19th Century - Guns & Greens

My Crimean War game of a few weeks ago was good fun, but the British lacked some guns and could have done with deploying a screen of skirmishers. With North Star and others being out of stock of Great War Crimean stuff I decided to repurpose some spare artillery crew from the Foundry Sikh wars figures which I bought from Graham C. The only difference between them and their later Crimean War colleagues is the addition of a peak to their forage cap it would seem, so they were swiftly painted out of their white summer campaign trousers and back into blue. For guns I borrowed two British Napoleonic models which were not stuck to the base of my 1815 army.  The result below I am quite happy with and I'm sure they will see service soon.

Crimean Gunner


The British Guns

On a different note I received a photo of some new 1859 Austrian Jäger which Pirans Warriors are soon to be releasing.

At present there is only a single jäger figure on offer so I have been holding off as I'd prefer a mix of poses on a base of skirmishers. I think these new figures are perfect and Terry tells me that more cavalry will be available soon too so I'm looking forward to be able to put a small all arms Austrian force on the table soon as another foe for my 2nd Empire French and a friends 1864 Danes. If one isn't too fussy...and I won't be... they would do for earlier or later fights in Italy, Hungary or against Prussia. Uniforms were different and more Napoleonic looking for the former two, and hidden beneath a greatcoat for the latter. Come time I may well look to expand the Emperors armies into these periods, but for now, these chaps will do.

No comments: