Sunday 12 July 2020

A busy week of Wargames goodies

It's been a very busy week of goodies for the Wargames table and bookshelf.

A couple of eBay purchases turned up. Some lovely Crann Tara British in campaign dress which will be prefect for Cuba or elsewhere.

Some of the British, (and dog).

Then another eBay purchase, this time 19thC. Highlanders for the Crimea. I'd always wanted to have Crimean War figures and this project is turning into a labour of love. I can't wait for Great War to restock so I can get my mitts on some Rifle Brigade. Then I need to flesh out the Russians with some skirmishers and add the Cossack artillery I'm painting.



A trip to Ballater on Saturday meant a visit to Deeside books. And I seldom if ever leave without something under my arm. This time it was Hellion's book on the battle of Sheriffmuir - "Crucible of the Jacobite '15" by Jonathan Oates, half price no less. Check them out online do...they have an excellent history section and also some rarities.




I did some painting too, making a start on the rowers for my landing boats for Havana and Manila as I now have oars supplied by Graham H's printer. I plan on mounting the oarsmen on small plastic "seats" made of square plasticard tube. This will allow a stand of troops to fit alongside them in the boat. For a mock up I have used some 6mm dice, which are roughly the size needed, and it seems to work out well. The book is moving along and I'm am ready to start drafting the first scenarios.



Lastly I must mention another book I received this weekend. I'm not really a modern history fan nor do I know much about the modern "troubles" in Northern Ireland other than what I remember from tv as a kid. However I had the good fortune to work with the author a few years ago and a very fine chap he is indeed. The book in question is "A Winter in Belfast" by David Ellis. It is his diary of a tour spent there during 76-77 whilst he was in the Parachute Regiment. It is very clearly written and both forthright and frank and I'm finding it  an excellent read.




5 comments:

Aly Morrison said...

Lovely toys Stuart...

It’s nice to see that the butterfly is strong in you...

All the best. Aly

John J said...

May amuse you to know,the painter of the cran tara figures, is a former para,who served in northern Ireland,78,79,has glad you like them

StuartInsch said...

Thanks chaps,
Aly - mines flits but seldom wanders far!

John - the figures are crackers and I thought there was a military connection. I'll be keeping an eye out for more.

John J said...

In process of more,i love the book on sugar island campaigns,crann tara are excellent figures,I started painting as a boy soldier...hinchcliffe,wow long time ago

Graham C said...

Well you have been busy and that butterfly is strong within you ☺️ And I thought my small diversion was bad !
The eBay purchase was good nice to see the boys have found a good home.
I like the idea re the boats although I’ve decided to put my infantry for this one on pennies, - I think I’m going to have to set Mr Stadden to make me some seated infantry though!
Enjoy the new job and keep up this productivity.