Monday 15 November 2021

Sikh Wars - Akali Warriors.

 Some time ago I bought a box of Sikh Wars figures from Graham Cummings. I have almost finished painting all of that little treasure trove and have been adding to it here and there and expanding into the earlier Afghan War of 1839-42. 

The most colourful figures in there were these Sikh Nihang or Akali warriors, clad in blue and yellow. Graham started off a couple of them and I've now finished off the rest of the unit. 


The Akali movement saw themselves as the armed protectors of the Sikh faith and used traditional weapons including sharpened steel quoits which were spun and cast towards the enemy. Their colourful clothing is depicted in several superb paintings one of which is shown below. 



These figures are from Wargames Foundry. Studio Miniatures also make Sikh wars figures but they are very tall 28's and sadly incompatible, I feel, with Foundry's well sculpted but smaller 25's. Iron Duke's Indian Mutiny figures also provide some useful figures and are much more similar in size to Foundry, albeit in a more dynamic and modern style, sculpted by Paul Hicks. These two ranges will provide what I need to finish this project, supplemented here and there with choice bits like the Carlist Wars Rocket Battery and plastic Afghans from Perry and the Afghans from Wargames Atlantic. 

 For The Men Would Be Kings, this unit of tribal infantry will be Fierce. It will lead from the front, for at the time of the Sikh wars the Sikh leadership saw them as a group of fanatics who should be allowed to sacrifice themselves and thus rid them of potential troublemakers.

We've already had a Sikh Wars game at Oldmeldrum and have another one planned this week. I've made up a campaign which I hope to run shortly and I understand that the Quartermaster in Chief has spoken to the Colonial Steamboat Company and some scenery is under construction for Xmas delivery. See what you started Graham!😁

Before I sign off, some 18thC news. My mojo has much returned of late and I'm now all but finished Against Spain. Proof reading highlighted some changes that were required and a few tweaks were needed to the scenarios. Stay tuned! 


3 comments:

David said...

Tuned!!!

StuartInsch said...

😉

Aly Morrison said...

Very nice indeed Stuart…
I think these guys are a must have for Sikh armies.

All the best. Aly