Sunday 30 July 2023

Project Alma - the Battle

 Yesterday I had some friends over for a game. In the warm sun (and blustery breeze) we played the Alma game I've been painting up figures and getting scenery for. 

The breeze played havoc initially with the gazebo we played under and a few times blew in and knocked down trees on the table but it died down and we spent a very enjoyable afternoon playing the scenario, based on Neil Thomas's from his 19th Century Wargames book but using the mechanisms from Rebels and Patriots to play the game. While we played our wives chatted in the other corner of the garden and we got together for a nice Turkish inspired meal cooked by my wife. It was a cracking day.


 But back to the game, John and Eric took the British and  Bill and Graham the Russians. Things did not go well for the Brits to start with, kicking off an artillery duel against the more numerous Russians meant the Royal artillery were soon in disarray - one gun knocked out and two forced to retreat. The Russians then began to open up on the infantry and John and Eric's dice throwing for activations was so bad that I had to intervene as umpire and inform them that Lord Raglan had moved his position so that they could get an additional CinC bonus and actually move things forward ! 

Starting Postitions

The high water mark


This did the trick and after dinner in particular the Brits were able to get moving and cause some real damage to the Russians.  Bill and Graham hadn't got things all their own way. A couple of blunders meant they accidentally fired in their own men, and once they got in range of the British on their left they were losing men quite quickly. Graham's guns in particular holding back the British around the village and the right of their line. 





Eric had by now managed to get his dice properly warmed up and was able to send his men up the slopes, but they were too few to cause enough damage to the Russians who began to advance towards him. Their large units soaked up 16 points of damage compared with 12 for each British. John was still stuck on the British right and although another Russian unit made its back to its box, it was clear that the British had no chance of taking the day and we wrapped up the game. 

Id painted up two old Tradition 30mm Crimean figures by Charles Stadden...one for Best General and one for unluckiest. Due to his activation rolls in the first half of the game Eric took the Unluckiest home, while Bill gained the Best General award. 

A great days gaming, good company, a few beverages and fine food with friends. 

Now....what do I need for Balaclava?.... 

4 comments:

Old Nick said...

Outstanding Stuart! My favorite action in the Crimean, and the order of battle I picked for my armies. A great sounding game.

Your battlefield looked excellent. I am very excited impressed.

StuartInsch said...

Thanks Mark.

It's been "bathtubbed" a la Neil Thomas but to be honest that's just to allow me to play a big battle of nearly 90,000 men on a 6x4. I want to do Balaclava, so need Heavy Brigade, Turks and Russian Cavalry and since I now have French for a FPW project I'll look at what I need to so the other half of the Alma and Tchernya too.

The Turks will need to be from Foundry unless Aly has something up his sleeve!

The table was a fleece mat from Geek Villain over polystyrene "heights". Roads and Rivers by "Fat Frank" on EBay and the buildings were 3D prints.

Aly Morrison said...

A nice looking game Stuart…
It looks like it works well on the 6x4 table.

I have nothing up my sleeve at the moment… I would like to make some Turks but with the glacial pace of my putty pushing at the moment…I’m not going to say when.
I am however repairing all the Light Brigade masters at the moment… it’s not much fun but they should cast a lot better when they are done.

All the best. Aly

StuartInsch said...

Thanks Aly.

The Balaclava project will be a slow burn, I have some writing to do for Mr Grant meantime.

The Alma will get another roll out at my club, but this time we'll maybe try the Neil Thomas rules for a comparison.