Sunday 22 October 2023

Some Renaissance Figs

Today's paint jobs.


First some Spanish pike, complete with frothing priest which will accompany my Spaniards. A bit of stereotyping but why not. Wargames Atlantic Conquistadors and Foundry/Casting Room “command”. The plastics are ok....some pieces are a bit smooth and lack detail while others give a bit of an ape like look to the finished pose. Based together though they look ok and I've got enough with two boxes to give me two bases of pike, the shot to go with them and to make up some halberdiers/bills and Spanish cavalry using the Perry WOTR Light Horse set.

I will add a flag from the rather excellent 80 Years War Facebook group. It has flags for Spanish units which are rather colourful, correct for the period and a change from the usual red and white. 

We'll see how long the plastic spears last.....



Next some rescued Empire Pistoliers. Tails repaired, armour calmed down, mounts retouched and plumes repainted.  Citadel bases trimmed off and dremelled down in thickness, then the figs fixed in place with a mix of superglue and pva to give a strong flexible bond between the plastic and the mdf. I have some redoubt figures on order...(will see how long they take to turn up!), but I'm hoping they're a good fit size ways as these are nice figures, particularly the firing pose, but I'm two short for a unit and I don't want to pay the daft prices they go for on eBay.



Have to say I’m really enjoying painting renaissance stuff and am working my way through the 2nd and 3rd Tudor Art of Warre books from Helion and their One Faith, One Law, One King book on the armies of the French Wars of Religion which arrived today. I have a core of pike, shot and mounted figures now to which I am adding units to give the army a flavour of one nationality or the other as well as interchangeable flags. I have my eye on some nice resin figures as French. 

We had a game at Oldmeldrum Wargames Club last week using Neil Thomas’s One Hour Wargames with a few mods by yours truely. We will give them another go this week - weather permitting! I'll take some pics this time. 

6 comments:

rross said...

Great stuff Stuart - I have toyed with the idea of the WA Conquistadors for Border Reivers (although, in truth, I already have a heap more for that collection than I need!) They look good as regular Spanish troops.

StuartInsch said...

I think the padded armour is really the only thing that distracts from being used as European Spaniards but we wargamers can write that off as jacks. The spears are too short to use as pikes, but that's easy sorted and you'd need targes rather than the Spanish shields but they are decent figures worth looking at and mixed with other sets are worth it for the bits, headswaps, etc.

pancerni said...

Lots of very nice work on the figures.

Aly Morrison said...

Very nice Stuart…
The Wargames Atlantic set looks quite useful.

All the best. Aly

Independentwargamesgroup said...

Its a great period to get into Stuart, Im certain you'll enjoy it.

StuartInsch said...

I'm enjoying the research, the assembly and painting of figures and gaming too - fresh periods are fun.