Wednesday 12 February 2020

Before Mysunde - 1864

Tuesday was club night and I put together a game based on the skirmishes before the battle of Mysunde which took place on a snowy February day as part of the 2nd Schleswig Holstein War. Somewhat apt given the weather recently!

My Prussians took on Mike's Danes using Rebels and Patriots. At my suggestion we modified the firing mechanisms for the Prussians Dreyse rifle, cutting the range to 12" but allowing them to reroll misses. Danes musketry was unchanged at 18".

This led to the Prussians starting to suffer casualties as they approached the Danish position but when the Danes came forward to engage they suffered heavily from the needlegun.




What undid the Prussian advance however was not the fire from the Danish infantry but rather carbine fire from their dragoons. I hadn't thought to modify this so we played as per the rules, and not only did my Uhlans get chewed up but an infantry unit was halted by their fire too. Although cavalry was equipped with firearms their use was not like that of their counterparts on the other side of the Atlantic and I think this needs a wee house mod to manage this.




That aside the game was a good one and the figures and scenery looked the part. More 1864 games are on the cards.







Tonight I watched a YouTube demo of the Lorenz vs the Needlegun. The former much slower but effective to over 300yds and still hitting at 500. The latter much much faster but only really effective at up to 200yds. So....I wasn't too far off the mark with my mods.


2 comments:

David said...

Looks interesting - what was the source of your scenario information? Might want to give this a go myself

StuartInsch said...

Thanks David,
This one was cooked my up during my lunch break. Source is basically Wikipedia although I have Bismarck's First War as a kindle book. That book is jammed full of scenario ideas and super detailed for this scale of game and larger battles. That should be a a go to.