Sunday 13 December 2015

Russian SYW - Schilling Figuren

I'm looking ahead to next years project as my Neapolitan Army is almost complete. Years ago whilst I worked in Holland I collected and painted a 15mm Russian Army based for Volley and Bayonet. This was made up of Observation Corps troops using French inf in Waistcoat from the Essex F&I range and I think some Old glory figs in normal uniform. I always liked the look of the Observation corps and the small number of units in the formation made it an attractive proposition for 28mm.

But which manufacturer? 

Minden and Crann Tara don't do Russians and their unusual grenadier cap/helmet means other figs can't stand in for them. As much as I like the graceful style of these figures I had to discount them. 

So I took to the net and googled......up popped Ingo's Figuren at Schilling. Link

Infantry and grenadiers are available. Nice clean looking figs, simple poses, decent prices at €1.25 each....right I thought, let's give it a go.

I ordered enough for a unit of infantry for the rules I play. 12 musketeers, 2 standard bearer, officer and....a fifer. I like these and it's a nice wee change from drummers, ask my Neapolitans! Ordering was easy and Ulrike at Schilling was good enough to give me the tracking number so I could check on their progress. (Actually Ulrike was very helpful with this and a couple of other points - a nice guy and great service.)

So here they are - 

           Ingo, Minden, Perry, Ingo, Crann, Minden

They are probably most compatible with Perry miniatures in terms of height and build. Bigger and bulkier than Minden or Crann Tara - not hugely so - they wouldn't mix well in a unit, but then they aren't going to and I'd have no problem placing them against one another on the same table. 


The figs are cleanly cast, with no flash. The level of detail is good, remembering the uniform and equipment is plain and simple. Two poses of musketeer are available, with slightly different arm and head poses, so you can have a little variety. 

Overall I am very pleased with these and plan to stick with them for my Russian infantry for 2016.




No comments: