Sunday 6 November 2022

Patriots Rebellion - the British and the Patriots

The Patriots Rebellion was an uprising in1837-38 by discontented french speaking Canadians who wanted to maintain their heritage and culture in the face of anglicisation and who sought a wanted to restore a French speaking Canada or a least part of it. As the uprisings were dealt with in Canada, some of the leaders crossed the border to the US and, pushing on an open door, managed to recruit support which led cross border incursions into Canada between American sympathisers and the British army. Now that's a greatly condensed and simplified attempt at a summary that leaves out a lot of details, politics and subtlety. But this isn't a history lesson it's just an introduction!

The British deployed elements of several line and militia regiments to deal with the situation. As many of the actions were fought in cold weather 1830's British in greatcoats from Iron Duke from Empress and Studio, now from Bicorne can be used. The Militia are a bit more difficult, but as they tended to follow regular uniform or wore civilian clothes, some assumptions can be made. The European figures in Empresses various 19th ranges are a good start. 

Below is a picture of the British Troops I'll be using.


Artillery, Scots and Militia still to come.

The Patriots and their American allies are more difficult to represent and ranges for the SYW, War of 1812 and Alamo have to be plundered to come up with figures. Happily though these ranges have some great sculptors and similarly scaled figures. I used North Star Musket and Bayonet figures and some Artizan Texans. The blanket coat was a popular and practical winter garment and the hunting shirt was commonly worn too. The only thing I tried to avoid was Indian style leggings. The only thing which I've not been able to find -and my modelling skills are too poor to allow - is the folk who didn't have firearms and were armed with pikes and agricultural implements. 

Below are my Patriot figures. 


These were painted for me by Stuart Foley and rather good they are too. 

Scenery and terrain are easier - stone or timber buildings from the AWI are perfect. Rail fences common and north American scenery in general is spot on. I'll be picking some fences up from Emperor Toad who makes some nice winter scenery.  There is one iconic building which I need though and that's a large, tall stone windmill. I may have to get that custom built - we'll see!

8 comments:

David said...

Do I detect a scenario book in the offing?

StuartInsch said...

The germ of the beginning of the start of a book, perhaps.....😉

But not the next one.

Donnie McGibbon said...

A very interesting conflict, not one I had come across before, figures look really good, like the Empress infantry in greatcoat, they are cracking figures.

StuartInsch said...

I have just ordered some of Mr Morrison's Crimean Brits in greatcoats and caps to use as the 93rd, whose Grenadier coy took part in the Battle of the Windmill. I have a Steamer on the way (if I'm a good boy!) and have some Empresss Māori civilians and Perry Rioters finish off the Patriots / Patriot Hunters but I may add a unit with pikes and agricultural implements.

rross said...

These look great Stuart, the motley mix of French speaking rebels (not Patriots, surely??!) are particularly nice. I am sure civilians armed with improvised weapons are available but may just be a bit too early for your era eg figures for the civilian revolt against early Republican France or possibly some of the Irish Catholic forces v the Brits in the 1790's .....Trent Miniatures do some, also possibly Colonel Bills...you could also look at the War if 1812 stuff by Knuckleduster in the US...available from Caliver I think.

StuartInsch said...

I'm considering getting a unit of Trent Pike armed Irishmen, they aren't a million miles off pen and in illustrations of the poorer sorts who were issued with them. But I suspect the fighting was mostly at musket range until a bayonet charge went in so the Pikemen didn't see much action.

Aly Morrison said...

A nice interesting and colourful period Stuart…
I had completely forgotten that I made some greatcoated figures 😂…

All the best. Aly

StuartInsch said...

Cheers Aly,
They're next up for painting.

I've asked Santa for a paddle steamer and a tower which only needs to sails to turn it into a windmill.....so I'm on my bestest behaviour til Xmas now.....Ive no chance 😂